Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Part Two: Project 3 - an introduction. Stage 1

I've started my research and begun my sketchbook work, but thought I ought to post the work I've completed so far for Project 3.

Introduction
The project is outlined as simple colour theory and basic observation in colour perception.

"The Art of Color" by Johannes Itten (1888-1967) is a beautiful book which deals with contrast, saturation and hue.
The exercises in this project are a small part of the work that Johannes Itten wrote about and taught, he created the colour wheel as we know it today; an organised way of looking at colour.

It's been a while since I've done any colour mixing exercises, there's always a value in completing them, there's always something new to learn, even if it's recording and keeping a record of the colours you mix.

Preparation
I've gathered my materials together to create a colour wheel - I am going to use Gouache paint; this is an opaque paint which will show the colours produced cleanly and brightly.

I am creating a colour wheel with 12 colours - a 6 colour circle will have big jumps in hue, using 12 should ease this transition.

The completed colour wheel:

12 Colour Circle
The colours produced were marked on the wheel: I worked hard to try and have colours that flowed seamlessly from one to the other - I don't think you can practice enough!

Primary colours:     Red, yellow, blue
Secondary colours: Orange, Green, Violet
Tertiary colours:    Yellow orange/red orange; Red violet/blue violet; Blue green/yellow green.
Complementary colours: Red/green; Yellow/purple; Blue/orange - these are all found on the opposite side of the colour wheel.

The 12 colour wheel that Itten created:

It was a nice exercise - great to get the paints out again.

I always try to mix colours when I'm painting, the colours that come straight out of a tube often don't resemble the colours represented in nature. Once you start to mix your own, you are able to produce a nicer, deeper, richer colour.
                                            ----------------------------------------------------

The next stage is colour perception, time to pack away the paints and reach for the coloured paper!
                                               ---------------------------------------------

The finished page:
12 colour circle - stage 1: preparation

No comments:

Post a Comment