Monday, April 9, 2012

Part Two: Project 5 - Interlude

Experiments with Printing and Painting.

I am really looking forward to this project.

After finishing project 4, mounting, labelling and uploading all the photographs, I felt as if I needed to lie down in a darkened room.
I took a day off, had some quality time with my family and now feel like I can face my coursework again.

The interlude: experiments with printing and painting, is exactly that.
Preparations that are essential to successful completion of Project 5.

Of the recommended books, I own Color on Paper and Fabric by Ruth Issett.
I also attended a workshop with Ruth Issett a few years ago at Textiles in Focus - held at Cottenham Village College near Cambridge.
This is usually held every year in February.

The book is full of pictures and instructions to create exciting experiments with inks, dyes and Markal sticks.
The workshop I went on enabled me to practise some of of these techniques over 2 hours with a fantastic tutor.

For Christmas I was given Print Workshop by Christine Schmidt
This book appears to be well laid out, has simple clear instructions and covers several hand-printing techniques, such as: relief printing, stencil printing, sun printing and image transfer printing.

In Stage 1 we have to prepare materials, surfaces and papers for printing.

This is where I may have to own up to several 'essential' purchases I have made over the past couple of years, it all began when I visited the Art Van Go studios in person ... it's just so much easier to be sensible when ordering online.

No comments:

Post a Comment