Monday, April 9, 2012

Part Two: Project 5 - Interlude: Stage 1

Preparation.

I made a printing surface by following the instructions in the course book.

I took a piece of wood approximately 50cm x 70cm.
Covered it with 2 layers of quilt batting.
Added some sheeting material.
The edges were then stretched taut and held tight with a staple gun.
Printing Board

I didn't make a printing pad, I intend to use rollers or brushes instead.

I gathered together some of the equipment I have for printing and painting.
Some of my printing and painting equipment
This is a selection of:
  •  Markal paint sticks
  •  Sheets of lino, lino cutting tools and water based printing ink.
  •  Transfer dyes
  •  Transfer crayons
  •  Jacquard "Dye-na-flow" for sun printing and silk painting
  •  Cyanotype chemicals for "blue-prints"
  •  Softsculpt
  • Tyvek
I have also gathered together some other items for printing in a less conventional way:
  • white plastic erasers
  • stiff card
  • string
  • acetate
  • sticky-backed plastic
I have a collection of different types of paper (brown paper, photocopy paper, tissue, handmade papers, newspaper etc.) to use in this project.

I intend to experiment with many of these papers to see what effect the printing process has on them.
I will use some of them smooth, some crumpled, some folded and pleated.

I have also gathered my drawings and reference material nearby.

Stage 2 uses the following processes:
  • Block Printing and Relief Printing.
  • Masks and Stencils
  • Hand Painting on Fabric
Although some of these techniques are not new to me, it is a while since I have done any and I am looking forward to experimenting and recording the results.

It is probably better at this stage to make the move back to the kitchen table for Project 5, where there is space, lots of natural light, wipeable surfaces and a water supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment