Saturday, March 24, 2012

Part Two: Project 4 - Stage2: Exercise 4

Looking for Shapes and Drawing 

Exercise 4 asks us to apply everything we have learned so far in order to draw from real objects. 

Instructions:
Find a collection of objects that are visually stimulating and group them in a way that looks interesting.
Then make a series of studies separating shapes, colours and textures.
Use any media and work on a scale that feels comfortable.

Remember:
  • to have a point of view or attitude when drawing.
  • to be aware of what is interesting about the group of objects.

The group of objects I chose were things that we have been using to create the work for each project.
These were: a machine embroidery hoop; a scalpel: large scissors; small scissors; a pencil; a rotary cutter; a paintbrush and a tube of glue.
The group of objects that I chose for Exercise 4
I rearranged the objects and drew the outlines of each object.
I was most interested in the shapes that would be created by the interlocking and overlaying of these objects.
The outlines of each object.
In order to try and see the negative spaces I made a monochromatic study of the group.
This enabled me to see the shapes contained within the arrangement, but I felt I needed to explore the design more.
Monochromatic study
I wasn't particularly interested in recording the real colours of the objects, so I produced a warm and a cool study of the arrangement.

So that I would not just see the real objects contained within the sketch, I painted according to the following rules:
  • Include all the lines of the objects.
  • Change colours each time a line is crossed.

Warm colour study:
With warm colours
Cool colour study:
With cool colours
I liked both of these colour studies and felt the warm colours were more successful.

Abstracting the shapes within the image helped me to see the different areas that were contained within the design.
The objects were no longer identifiable as individual, real looking items.

I liked these watercolour sketches but still felt I had not pushed the original image, the design had not developed.

I used a viewing frame against the original line drawing to isolate an interesting area.
I liked the strong shapes that were contained within this image.
Close-up of a section: Scissors and glue
I used some of the shapes that were contained within the above image to create a repeat pattern.
Using felt pens I used muted colours to see if the pattern worked.

Repeat pattern using shapes
Although I felt the design had some merit, I didn't think that I had taken it far enough.

I took the original line drawing and used it to make a stylised sketch.
I now had a more interesting arrangement of shapes to work with.

A stylised sketch of the line drawing.
I took a section from this drawing and painted the shapes contained within it, using black as a background.

Colour sketch in acrylics
I liked the shapes in the arrangement.
I was unhappy with the colours against the black background
I was also unhappy with the composition, I felt it was too cluttered.

I knew I had to narrow down the choice of shapes that I wanted to use.
I also needed to experiment with the shapes and the colour of the background.

I played with the layout of two of the shapes and the concept of using white as a background.
I used a strong alizarin crimson for one shape and a soft pink for the other, against the white background the difference in the colours was lost.
It still felt a little flat.
Shapes against a white background
I placed the shapes against a black background.
The difference in the colours of the shapes showed up better, but it still didn't work.
It felt dull and too minimalist.

Shapes against a black background.
I then painted a sheet of paper in shades of green, from bright to dark.
I hoped that the complementary colour would brighten up the composition.
I knew I had to think about adding some more shapes to the arrangement.


I was happier with the new arrangement.
I liked the effect of using two shades of green in the background.
The addition of the extra shapes helped to unify the composition.
With a green background

Conclusion:
I liked my final design and I enjoyed the design process.

My final image did not resemble, but was based on my original line drawing of familiar artist tools.

My emphasis throughout the drawing and design process had been the shapes and the colours.

When you look at the image your eye looks around the whole picture, it is unable to settle in any one place.

The final design was no longer static and dull, but vibrant and dynamic.
The colours were eye-catching.

I now feel more confident about my ability to design and develop a piece of work.
                                                          -------------------------
Finished Pages:


No comments:

Post a Comment