Monday, July 2, 2012

Part Two: Project 5 - Stage 4

A Larger Sample

I sit looking at the range of samples that I produced for stage 3.
I enjoyed the process of making the samples and creating the designs on fabric - this was a very different experience from working with paper.

For Stage 4, I have to produce a larger sample. The choices are:

1: To make an extended version of a repeating pattern: a design that can continue beyond the edges of the sample and is not a complete unit in itself.

2: To develop an image or motif built up or extended to make a 'single unit' piece: the design will be complete within itself.

I had intended to experiment more at this stage, to work on the design in my sketchbook, to perhaps amalgamate several of the design ideas into a new motif.
After dwelling on this overnight, I decided to choose my favourite sample and work with it.
I thought I would see where the design took me.

The sample I chose to develop further was the starfish design.
The original sketch
Close up of the starfish
Repeat pattern of the starfish
Repeat pattern of starfish: Project 4; Stage 4
Stylised design of the starfish. Based on the repeat pattern above
Stylised starfish sample: stage 3
I initially thought that I would reverse the stencil, making the background neutral and emphasising the starfish.
Looking back to the repeat pattern, I realised that what I liked most about the design was the negative shapes that were produced.

I decided to keep the stencil the same - but just make ALOT of them.
I cut out 16 stencils from sticky backed plastic.
My starfish stencils
I prepared my fabric: approximately 40cm x 40cm of off-white cotton sheeting taped on to a printing board.
I placed the stencils on top of the fabric to see how they would fit together:
The fabric allowed for 12 stencils.
I realised at this stage that each stencil did not require a frame around it, as I attached each one to the fabric I trimmed off any parts of the stencil that was not needed
Laying out the stencils
I chose the colour scheme based on this sample:
I liked the colours in this sample
I started to apply Napthol Red to the fabric.
At this stage the suggested guideline of 10 hours seemed a long way away.
Applying red Markal Stick to the design
This was where I realised just how long the project might take.
I stopped to have a tea break and to gather my thoughts.
Work in progress
Second tea break, half way through applying the background colour.
Half way through
Another tea break, at this stage I could see how well the design was working out.
Near the end ....
Having completed the bright red background, I added Dioxadine Purple, Light Gold and Pearl White to some of the shapes that were repeated throughout the design.
Adding more colours to the design
I really liked the way the colours were working, but felt it needed 'something else'.
Turquiose was added to areas in the design
Adding turquiose
I decided to see what the design looked like once the stencil was removed.
I thought it may have needed over printing with small stars.
Once the stencil was pulled away I realised my design was complete.
Finished design with stencil removed
A close up of the finished design.
Close-up of the design

I am very happy with the finished design.
The colour combination works well.
Using strong colours in the negative spaces of the design makes the design look very different to the original repeat pattern.
The starfish are now almost lost in the design.

The stencils worked well, occasionally part of the stencil would come unstuck and there are some blurred edges.
The fabric was also a good choice. The smooth finish helped produce a nice crisp design.
Markal sticks worked well to colour the fabric - the shading worked very well. Applying the initial layer of red took a huge amount of time - maybe try to learn how to use my silk screen next time.

I have such a feeling of relief that I have now completed this project - now to send off my second assignment.
Finished page:

No comments:

Post a Comment